Freading: “No Wait” E-Books!
No more waiting! Start Freading Now!
Freading offers thousands of titles from a variety of small and independent publishers.
All books allow for multi-user access, so there is never any waiting for a title.
E-books are checked out for two weeks and can be renewed for an additional two weeks.
Each customer has a weekly limit of three (3) items that can be checked out. If you check out one item and you see 1/3 on your account, it simply means you have used 1 out of the 3 total checkout limits. Every week unused book loans will roll over to the following week. Every four weeks, any unused book loans expire.
What devices work with Freading?
Sorry, no Kindle Readers :-(
PC or Mac running Adobe Digital Editions software (download from our Freading site).
Apple iPad and iPhone using Freading app for iPad/iPhone.
Android tablets and smartphones using Freading app for Android (device must be compatible with Android Market).
E-readers: Nook; Kobo; Sony Reader. (You’ll need a computer to transfer e-books).
Kindle Fire,Kobo Vox, and other non-Android Market tablets and smartphones (using Freading Android app from GetJar).
To use Freading…
If you have an iPhone or iPad:
1) Install and activate the Freading app.
2) Using Safari or another browser on your device, go to liveoakpl.freading.com and log in with your library card number. (Make sure your browser accepts cookies.)
3) You may be prompted for a zip code to pick a library. Use 31401.
4) In the browser, find the book you wish to download and click on the Download epub link (under the book cover). (Click off the PDF box to limit to epub titles.)
5) A new window will appear for you to choose an app. Tap the [Open in…] button and select the Freading app from the list of available options.
6) In the Freading app, the book cover will appear. If it says Download Failed, you need to activate the device by selecting the [i] (to the right of the book cover) and entering your Adobe ID when prompted.
In summary…with Freading, you browse and download from the browser, then open in the app.
If you have an Android mobile device:
1) Install and activate the app.
2) Search, check out and download EPUB e-books directly to your device.
If you have a Nook:
1) Install the Adobe Digital Editions and register the computer with your Adobe ID (one time only).
2) Launch Adobe Digital Editions.
3) Log in at liveoakpl.freading.com and search for EPUB books. Download desired title. Choose “open” rather than “save”.
4) Go to Adobe Digital Editions and wait for the download to finish.
5) Plug your Nook in and you should see it appear in Adobe Digital Editions. (You will have to register your device the first time.) You can then drag titles to your device.
For more Frequently Asked Questions visit the Freading website.